About the Scheme
- The National Apprenticeship Training Scheme is a one year programme equipping technically qualified youth with practical knowledge and skills required in their field of work.
- The Apprentices are imparted training by the organizations at their place of work.
- During the period of apprenticeship, the apprentices are paid a stipend amount, 50% of which is reimbursable to the employer from the Government of India.
- At the end of the training period the apprentices are issued a Certificate of Proficiency by the Government of India which can be registered at all employment exchanges across India as valid employment experience.
- The apprentices are placed for training at Central, State and Private organizations which have excellent training facilities.
- The scheme has demonstrated to enhance the employability of students who have successfully completed the apprenticeship training.
Why in News?
- The Union Cabinet has approved continuation of the National Apprenticeship Training Scheme for next five years.
- This increased expenditure on apprenticeship is in line with the thrust which National Education Policy 2020 has given to apprenticeship.