- The Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) was established as a dialogue forum in 1996 with 26 partners to bridge Asia and Europe.
- It is a platform for the countries in Asia and Europe to exchange views on regional and global issues and strengthen cooperation on a wide range of areas emanating from its three pillars:
- political and security,
- economic and financial,
- The ASEM grouping comprises 51 member countries (including India) and 2 regional organizations – European Union and ASEAN.
- Countries in the grouping represent 65 per cent of global GDP, 60 per cent of the global population, 75 per cent of global tourism and 55 per cent of global trade.
Why in News?
- The 13th ASEM Summit is set to start virtually.
- The ASEM Summit is a biennial event alternating between country in Asia and Europe and is the foremost event of ASEM process to set its priorities for dialogue and cooperation between Asia and Europe in the areas of political, economic, financial, social, cultural, and educational issues of common interest in a spirit of mutual respect and equal partnership.
View all comments