What’s in the news?
- The scheme, Nagar Van Yojana (NVY) has been launched during the year 2020, for creation of Nagar Vans in urban areas, which promotes urban forestry by involving local communities, NGOs, educational institutions, local bodies, etc.
- Nagar Van Yojana envisages creating 1000 Nagar Van / Nagar Vatika in Cities having Municipal Corporation/Municipal council/Municipality/Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) for providing wholesome healthy living environment for the residents and thus contributing to growth of clean, green, healthy and sustainable cities.
- The salient features of Nagar Van Yojana are:
- Creating green space and aesthetic environment in an urban set up.
- Creating awareness about plants and biodiversity and developing environment stewardship.
- Facilitating in-situ conservation of important flora of the region.
- Contributing to environmental improvement of cities by pollution mitigation, providing cleaner air, noise reduction, water harvesting and reduction of heat islands effect.
- Extending health benefits to residents of the city and
- Helping cities become climate resilient.
Why in News?
- Under NVY, so far, 385 projects have been sanctioned in the country, since inception of the scheme in 2020.