- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) is the flagship scheme of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship implemented by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC). The scheme was launched in 2015.
- It is implemented under the Skill India Mission.
- The objective of this programme is to enable a large number of Indian youth to take up industry-relevant skill training that will help them in securing a better livelihood.
- Individuals with prior learning experience or skills will also be assessed and certified under Recognition of Prior Learning.
- Skill training is based on the National Skill Qualification Framework (NSQF) and industry led standards.
Objectives of PMKVY
- To impart industry-related skills to the unemployed youth and school/college dropout;
- To provide financial and placement assistance to trained candidates.
PMKVY has three key components
- Short Term Training (STT): Under this component, training is given to unemployed youths or school/college dropouts in line with the National Skills Qualification Framework.
- Recognition of Prior Learning: Under this module, assessment and certification is given to applicants with existing skills or a prior learning experience.
- Special Projects: This module has been designed to create a platform that facilitates training for special job roles in government, corporate or industrial bodies.
Why in News?
- The National Skill Development Corporation, under the aegis of Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) in association with Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), is imparting a one-day Pre-Departure Orientation Training (PDOT) to potential migrants under the Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PKVY) scheme.
- The training aims to equip them with the necessary soft skills to compete in foreign destinations. As of 31st May 2023 a total of 1,29,062 candidates have received training under the programme.