- In 2009, National e-Governance Division was created by the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology as an Independent Business Division under the Digital India Corporation.
- Since 2009, NeGD has been playing a pivotal role in supporting MeitY in Programme Management and implementation of the e-Governance Projects; provide technical and advisory support to Ministries/ Departments, both at Central and State levels along with other Government organisations.
- NeGD’s major operational areas include programme management, project development, technology management, capacity building, awareness and communications related activities under the flagship Digital India Programme.
- NeGD has developed and is managing several National Public Digital Platforms such as DigiLocker, UMANG, Rapid Assessment System, OpenForge, API Setu, Poshan Tracker, Academic Bank of Credits, National Academic Depositories, National AI Portal, MyScheme, India Stack Global, Meri Pehchaan, etc.
Why in News?
- NeGD has organised 39th Chief Information Security Officers (CISOs) Deep Dive Training Programme Under MeitY’s initiative Cyber Surakshit Bharat.
- Cyber Surakshit Bharat initiative of MeitY was conceptualised with the mission to spread awareness about cyber-crime and build capacities of CISOs and frontline IT officials, across all government departments, for ensuring adequate safety measures to combat the growing menace – Organisations need to defend their digital infrastructures and become future-ready in tackling cyber-attacks.
- The purpose of the program is to spread awareness, build capacity as well as enable Government departments on steps that need to be taken to create a cyber resilient eco system.