World Environment day 2020
- World Environment Day has been celebrated since 1974 on June5, to mark the Conference on the Human Environment, or the Stockholm Conference, held from June 5-16.
- World Environment Day has helped UNEP to raise awareness and generate political momentum around growing concerns, such as the depletion of the ozone layer, toxic chemicals, desertification and global warming.
- The theme of World Environment 2020 is ‘celebrating biodiversity‘ — a concern that is both urgent and existential. The fact is that the current environmental crisis is a warning that we must heed collectively. We must now fundamentally rethink our relationship with the living world, with natural ecosystems and their biodiversity.
- The day was hosted in Colombia in partnership with Germany.
- United Nations Conference on the Human Environment, by name Stockholm Conference, the first United Nations (UN) conference that focused on international environmental issues.
- The conference, held in Stockholm, Sweden, from June 5 to 16, 1972, reflected a growing interest in conservation issues worldwide and laid the foundation for global environmental governance.
- The Stockholm Conference also led to the creation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) in December 1972 to coordinate global efforts to promote sustainability and safeguard the natural environment.
[…] https://officerspulse.com/world-environment-day-2020/ […]