About the Scheme
- Skills Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion (SANKALP) is a supporting programme to skill training schemes which focuses on improvement of quality, strengthening of institutions and inclusion of weaker sections in skill training.
- It is a World Bank loan assisted programme of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) with three key Result Areas (RA), namely
- Institutional Strengthening at Central, State, and District level;
- Quality Assurance of skill development programmes; and
- Inclusion of marginalized populations in skill development programmes.
- The implementation period of SANKALP is till March, 2023.
- SANKALP has undertaken several initiatives to contribute to improvement in employability, some of which are as under:
- Strengthening of District Skill Committees for improved access to and demand driven skill trainings for employment.
- Emphasis on skill certification in Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) at Gram Panchayat level for improving employment qualitatively.
- Funded development of an IT system namely “Skill India Portal” to capture the data for skilling related activities across the country.
- Global Skill Gap study was conducted to identify the global gaps in demand and supply of skilled manpower as well as overseas employment opportunities for skilled workers from India. The Report helped in identifying important countries of interest as destination and job roles of interest.
- A Gender Action Plan (GAP) has been prepared for promoting inclusion of women in Short term skilling and livelihood opportunities.
Why in News?
- This information was given by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship in the Parliament recently.