- As per the Census figures of 2011, the population of senior citizens in India is 10.38 crore, out of which 1.13 crore persons are above the age of 80 years.
- A sizeable percentage (5.2%) of the senior citizens suffer from some sort of disabilities related to old age.
- Projections indicate that the number of elderly population will increase to around 173 million by 2026.
- The Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment is implementing a Central Sector Scheme namely Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana (RVY) since 2017 under which free of cost assistive devices are provided to those senior citizens who suffer from age related disabilities/infirmities, and belong to BPL category.
- Since 2020-21 senior citizens who have a monthly income upto Rs. 15,000/- can also avail the benefit.
- The expenditure for implementation of the scheme is being met from the “Senior Citizens’ Welfare Fund”.
- The Scheme is being implemented by the Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO), a PSU under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
Why in News?
- The Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana is proving to be very helpful for those poor elderly people who have to depend on others for the assistive devices needed in old age. This scheme is helping such old age people to become self-reliant and live with dignity.