What is Pusa Decomposer?
- There are capsules consisting of 5 strains of fungi which are used along jaggery and besan, to make a solution which helps in speedy decomposition of organic matter.
- These capsules were invented by Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) to tackle the situation of stubble burning.
- The Pusa Decomposer can rapidly degrade paddy straws in the field and convert them into compost, which then does not pose any issues for the sowing of wheat crops,
- It is one of the major causes of severe pollution which occurs in Delhi and nearby cities during winters.
- Stubble burning is burning of residue of paddy cultivation. Since farmers find it easy to burn it and get rid of it, they do it, but its effect on the environment and air are hazardous.
- The farmers of Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Haryana are being frequently requested and educated by the government to stop stubble burning, but appropriate technology was not present till where this waste can be used or modified to the needs of the farmers
Why in the News?
- The Environment Minister has asked states of Punjab, UP, Haryana and Delhi to conduct field trials of Pusa Decomposer.
View all comments