- Namami Gange Mission is a holistic and integrated river rejuvenation programme not just to clean River Ganga but restore its entire riverine ecosystem.
- It was launched in 2014-15.
- Namami Gange is premised on the five important pillars of –
- Nirmal Ganga (unpolluted river),
- Aviral Ganga (unrestricted flow),
- Jan Ganga (People’s Participation),
- Gyan Ganga (knowledge and research based interventions) and
- Arth Ganga (people-river connect through the bridge of economy).
Why in News?
- Under the Namami Gange Programme, a total of 442 projects have been taken up at an estimated cost of over 37 thousand crore rupees, out of which 254 projects have been completed so far.