About the Portal
- In 2021, the Ministry of Labour and Employment unveiled the e-shram portal which aims to register 38 crore unorganised workers, such as construction labourers, migrant workforce, street vendors and domestic workers, among others.
- The workers will be issued an e-Shram card containing a 12 digit unique number, which will help in including them in social security schemes.
- The portal would lead to the creation of a national database of unorganised workers.
- Apart from being Aadhaar-linked, it will collect details of the name, occupation, address, educational qualification, skill types and family of the registered workers.
- The portal was developed by the Ministry of Labour & Employment, in technical collaboration with the National Informatics Centre (an attached office under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology).
- The portal is open to workers engaged in the unorganised sector and aged between 16 and 59.
Why in News?
- Over 28.96 crore unorganised workers have registered on eShram portal.
- eShram portal is meant to register and support the unorganised workers by providing them a Universal Account Number (UAN). eShram portal captures details of workers such as name, permanent address, current address, occupation, educational qualification, skill type etc. eShram portal allows registration under 30 broad occupation sectors and around 400 occupations.