Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebrated once in every two years to strengthen the engagement of the overseas Indian community with the Government of India and reconnect them with their roots.
- The 16th PBD Convention is being held Virtually on 9 January, 2021 in New Delhi.
- The theme of 16th PBD Convention 2021 is “Contributing to Aatmanirbhar Bharat”.
- The day commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to India on 9 January 1915.
- During the Convention, selected overseas Indians are also honoured with the prestigious Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award to recognize their contributions to various fields both in India and abroad.
Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award
The Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award is the highest honour conferred on a Non-Resident Indian, Person of Indian Origin; or an organisation or institution established and run by Non-Resident Indians or Persons of Indian Origin, who have made significant contribution in better understanding of India abroad, support India’s causes and concerns in a tangible way, community work abroad, welfare of local Indian community, philanthropic and charitable work, etc.
Why in News?
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD), the flagship event of the Ministry of External Affairs is being held on 9 January, 2021.
- PBD provides an important platform to engage and connect with overseas Indians.
- Due to the ongoing Covid pandemic, the Convention will be held in virtual format.
View all comments