About POSHAN Abhiyan:
- The Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition or POSHAN Abhiyaan or National Nutrition Mission, is Government of India’s flagship programme to improve nutritional outcomes for children, pregnant women and lactating mothers.
- It is a multi-ministerial convergence mission being implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child development.
- The goals of National Nutrition Mission are to achieve improvement in nutritional status of Children from 0-6 years, Adolescent Girls, Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers in a time bound manner during the next three years beginning 2017-18.
- National Nutrition Mission targets to reduce stunting, under- nutrition, anemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and reduce low birth weight by 2%, 2%, 3% and 2% per annum respectively.
- Although the target to reduce Stunting is at least 2% per annum, Mission would strive to achieve reduction in Stunting from 38.4% (NFHS-4) to 25% by 2022.
- Month of September 2018 was celebrated as Rashtriya POSHAN Maah.
- The activities in POSHAN Maah is focussed on Social Behavioural Change and Communication (SBCC).
- The broad themes are: Antenatal care, optimal breastfeeding (early and exclusive), complementary feeding, anaemia, growth monitoring, girls’ – education, diet, right age of marriage, hygiene and sanitation, eating healthy – food fortification.
Why in News?
- In Kargil, to effectively monitor the nutrition levels in children, pregnant women and lactating mothers, the government distributed smart phones among Anganwadi workers under POSHAN Abhiyan.
- It is also aimed to enable growth monitoring of children with the help of auto plotting of growth charts, auto generate task list and home visit schedule.
View all comments