About the Scheme
- The Prime Minister’s Development Initiative for North-East Region (PM-DevINE) was announced by the government in the Union Budget 2022-23.
- PM-DevINE is aimed at rapid and holistic development of the North- East Region by funding infrastructure and social development projects, based on felt needs of the States.
- It strives to fill the gaps in various sectors and will not be a substitute for existing Central and State Schemes.
- The objectives of PM-DevINE are:
- To Fund infrastructure convergently, in the spirit of PM GatiShakti;
- To Support social development projects based on felt needs of the North East;
- To Enable livelihood activities for youth and women;
- To Fill the development gaps in various sectors.
- PM-DevINE is implemented by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) through the North Eastern Council or Central Ministries/agencies.
Why in News?
- The Government of India has allocated Rs. 1500 crore for the PM-DevINE scheme.
North Eastern Council
- The North Eastern Council is the nodal agency for the economic and social development of the North Eastern Region which consists of the eight States of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura.
- It is a statutory organization established under the North Eastern Council Act, 1971 at Shillong, Meghalaya.
- Initially, NEC was an Advisory Body for the North Eastern Region. Now NEC is mandated to function as a Regional Planning Body for the North Eastern Region.
- The Council comprises Governors and Chief Ministers of constituent States and three members nominated by the President.