- Khanij Bidesh India Ltd. is a joint venture company of three Central Public Sector Enterprises under Ministry of Mines namely, National Aluminium Company Ltd. (NALCO), Hindustan Copper Ltd. (HCL) and Mineral Exploration and Consultancy Ltd.
- The company was set up in 2019 with an objective to identify and acquire overseas mineral assets of critical and strategic nature.
- The strategic and other minerals are intended to be supplied primarily to India to meet the domestic requirement due to it’s none or meager availability in the country and giving a big push to Make in India.
- The Company is focusing on two prime critical and strategic mineral i.e. Lithium and Cobalt in the present context of the Indian economy and linking it with creation of supply chain ecosystem in the country.
Why in News?
- The Union Minister of Coal, Mines and Parliamentary Affairs Pralhad Joshi said that KABIL has engagements with countries like Argentina, Australia etc. to acquire critical & strategic minerals assets.