- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) is registered as a society under the Societies Registration Act 1860.
- NMCG aims to ensure effective abatement of pollution and rejuvenation of the river Ganga by adopting a river basin approach to promote inter-sectoral co-ordination for comprehensive planning and management.
- It also aims to maintain minimum ecological flows in the river Ganga with the aim of ensuring water quality and environmentally sustainable development.
- NMCG acted as the implementation arm of National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) which was constituted under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act (EPA), 1986.
- NGRBA was dissolved in 2016, consequent to the constitution of National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga (referred as National Ganga Council).
Why in News?
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) is virtually organizing the webinar series ‘Igniting Young Minds: Rejuvenating Rivers’. The theme of the webinar is Water Conservation.