What’s in the news?
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development implements the Centrally Sponsored National Crèche Scheme to provide day care facilities to children (age group of 6 months to 6 years) of working mothers.
- It was launched in 2017.
- The Scheme provides an integrated package of the following services:
- Day care facilities including sleeping facilities.
- Early stimulation for children below 3 years and pre-school education for 3 to 6 years old children
- Supplementary nutrition (to be locally sourced)
- Growth monitoring
- Health check-up and immunization.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development has announced that the number of functional creches in the country under the National Creche Scheme during the last three years (2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20) was 18040, 8018 and 6458 respectively.
- Creches are not functional in the country since the outbreak of Coved-19 to prevent spread of the pandemic.