About the Scheme
- Bharatmala Pariyojana is a new umbrella program for the highways sector that focuses on optimizing efficiency of freight and passenger movement across the country by bridging critical infrastructure gaps through effective interventions like development of Economic Corridors, Inter Corridors and Feeder Routes, National Corridor Efficiency Improvement, Border and International connectivity roads, Coastal and Port connectivity roads and Green-field expressways.
- It was launched in 2017.
- All key aspects of the scheme will be managed by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
Highlights of Bharatmala Pariyojana
- Improvement in efficiency of existing corridors through development of Multimodal Logistics Parks and elimination of choke point;
- Enhance focus on improving connectivity in North East and leveraging synergies with Inland Waterways;
- Emphasis on use of technology & scientific planning for Project Preparation and Asset Monitoring.
Key features of the scheme
- Improving the quality of roads – The launch of the scheme has been done to bring a new wave of development in the nation in the form of well-maintained and developed roads. Under this project, the construction of roads in all parts of the nation will be undertaken.
- Total road construction – As per the draft of the scheme, the government and the ministry will strive to complete new roads, which will add up to a whopping 34, 800 kms.
- Integrated scheme – The Bharatmala is the name that is given to the road development and it will include many other related schemes as well. With the completion of all the schemes, the overall success of the scheme will be guaranteed.
- Total tenure of the program –The central government has the plans of finishing the scheme within a span of five years. Thus, all is set for finishing the first phase before the end of 2022.
Why in News?
- Till now, a length of about 6,750 km has been completed under the Bharatmala Pariyojana Phase-I.