What is it?
- Konkan Shakti 2021 is the first-ever tri-services joint exercise between India and the UK.
- The exercise and visit of UK’s Chief of Defence Staff is yet another marker of India’s growing defence collaboration with global military powers by conducting such war games to better understand each other and improve their interoperability.
- It also marks the re-entry of UK’s Carrier Strike Group (CSG) into the western Indian Ocean waters.
- The UK Carrier Strike Group (UKCSG) is a carrier battle group of the Royal Navy. The aim of the CSG is to facilitate carrier-enabled power projection. As a self-contained force, it is capable of operating independently or as part of a wider operation.
- The CSG’s deployment is an important one for the UK—its biggest after the end of the Cold War.
Other Military Exercises with the UK
- Ajeya Warrior- Joint Military Exercise to develop interoperability and sharing expertise with friendly foreign nations.
- Exercise Indradhanush– Air Force– provides a platform for the air forces of both the countries to share and jointly validate strategies and tactics to counter terror threats to their installations
Why in News:
- The United Kingdom (UK) and India launched “Konkan Shakti” 2021.