About Khelo India Scheme
- The Khelo India programme has been introduced to revive the sports culture in India at the grass-root level by building a strong framework for all sports played in our country.
- It is implemented by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- Under the scheme, the talented players identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels (by the High-Powered Committee) will be provided annual financial assistance of 5 lakh per annum for 8 years.
- Conduct structured annual sports competition and encourage Mass participation of youth.
- Identify talent through these competitions.
- Guidance and nurturing of the talent through the existing and new infrastructure
- Creation of Sports infrastructure at various levels.
Why in News?
A total of 2932 athletes under the Khelo India scheme have been selected for further training to excel in various National/ International competitions.
‘Sports’ being a State subject, the responsibility of promotion of sports, including identification of young talent and its nurturing, rests with State Governments.
The Government of India supplements the efforts of State Governments and National Sports Federations (NSFs) under its various schemes such as Khelo India.