- Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK) is a scheme which seeks to provide better socio economic infrastructure facilities to the minority communities particularly in the field of education, health & skill development which would further lead to lessening of the gap between the national average and the minority communities with regard to backwardness parameters.
- The erstwhile Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP) has been restructured and renamed as Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram for effective implementation since 2018.
- The areas under PMJVK, have been identified on the basis of minority population and socio-economic and basic amenities data of Census 2011. These areas will be known as Minority Concentration Areas.
- It will reduce the imbalances in the identified minority concentration areas to be at par with the rest of the country.
Parameters for Identification:
The backwardness parameters for minority concentration areas :
- Religion-specific socio-economic indicators at the district level
- Literacy rate
- Female literacy rate
- Work participation rate
- Female work participation rate
Why in News?
Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram is being implemented in 1300 identified Minority Concentration Areas in the country.