Kerala to update red list of animals, birds
What is the Red List of IUCN?
- The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species is the world’s most comprehensive inventory of the global conservation status of plant and animal species. It uses a set of quantitative criteria to evaluate the extinction risk of thousands of species.
- These criteria are relevant to most species and all regions of the world. With its strong scientific base, the IUCN Red List is recognised as the most authoritative guide to the status of biological diversity.
- The IUCN Red List Categories define the extinction risk of species assessed. Nine categories extend from NE (Not Evaluated) to EX (Extinct).
Why in the news?
- Kerala is about to update its red list of threatened species in accordance with the IUCN Red List according to local threats and risks.
- State-specific conservation data of its threatened species will help Kerala state to protect its habitat and address the conservation threats.
[…] IUCN already has a Red List of Threatened Species. To know more about it, read at https://officerspulse.com/kerala-to-update-red-list-of-animals-birds/ […]