India-Bangladesh Friendship pipeline
What’s in the news?
- The India-Bangladesh Friendship pipeline (IBFPL) will start supplying diesel to Bangladesh on an experimental basis from June this year.
- IBFPL is a 131.5 kilometre long pipeline that has been constructed for importing diesel from India.
- Out of this, 126.5 kilometre pipeline is in Bangladesh and 5 kilometre is in India.
- The international pipeline will carry diesel from the Siliguri based marketing terminal of the Numaligarh Refinery Limited to Parbatipur depot of Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation (BPC).
- The groundbreaking ceremony for the IBFPL was held in September 2018 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina through video conferencing.
- The pipeline has a capacity of one million metric tonne per annum (MMTPA). The project is being built under grant assistance from the government of India.
View all comments