About Guru Tegh Bahadur
- Guru Tegh Bahadur, the ninth guru of the Sikhs, is a revered figure not just for his contribution to the philosophy of universal brotherhood but also for demonstrating how to make the supreme sacrifice unflinchingly in the face of tyranny.
- Guru Tegh Bahadur is known for having taken on the might of the Mughals to protect religious freedom.
- According to some versions, the Mughals under Aurangzeb would persecute people of the realm. There were some in the Mughal court that did not like the prominence and the preaching activities of the Sikh gurus.
- Some accounts claim that the persecution of Hindus in Kashmir was particularly severe and they reached out to the Sikh guru for help.
- Guru Tegh Bahadur is said to have heard the stories of atrocities and then decided to sacrifice himself for righteousness and freedom of religion.
- The Mughals, however, were a mighty power and Guru Tegh Bahadur was arrested. According to some accounts, he was given three choices – to show miracles, to accept Islam or choose death. Guru Tegh Bahadur went with the third choice.
- Gurdwara Sis Ganj marks the place where Guru Tegh Bahadur was executed.
Why in News?
- President of India sent a message on the eve of ‘Martyrdom Day’ of Guru Teg Bahadur.