Why in News:
● The third edition of the Goa Maritime Conclave, the Indian Navy’s outreach initiative,
was held, where the non-traditional threats in the Indian Ocean Region and other issues were discussed
About the event
● Chiefs of navies or heads of maritime forces from 12 Indian Ocean littorals –
Bangladesh, Comoros, Indonesia, Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritius, Myanmar,
Seychelles, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Thailand participated.
● The GMC is the Indian Navy’s outreach initiative providing a multinational platform
to harness the collective wisdom of practitioners of maritime security and the
academia towards garnering outcome oriented maritime thought.
● With the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) becoming the focus of the 21st century strategic
landscape, the GMC aims to bring together the regional stakeholders and deliberate
on the collaborative implementation strategies in dealing with contemporary
maritime security challenges.
● Extensive deliberations in the domains of hydrography and maritime information
sharing would also be held.
● The participating chiefs of navies/heads of maritime agencies would also dwell upon the
significance of interoperability to effectively deal with emerging and future maritime
security challenges in the IOR