- The Geological Survey of India (GSI) is a scientific agency of India.
- It was founded in 1851, as a Government of India organization under the Ministry of Mines.
- It is one of the oldest of such organisations in the world and the second oldest survey in India after Survey of India (founded in 1767) for conducting geological surveys and studies of India.
- It is also the prime provider of basic earth science information to government, industry and general public, as well as the official participant in steel, coal, metals, cement, power industries and international geoscientific forums.
Why in News?
- The Geological Survey of India (GSI) will be taking up 111 public health and public good geoscience activities during 2023-24.