About GAVI Alliance
- The GAVI Alliance (formerly the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation) is a global health partnership of public and private sector organizations dedicated to “immunisation for all”.
- GAVI’s strategy supports its mission to save children’s lives and protect people’s health by increasing access to immunisation in poor countries.
- Its partners provide funding for vaccines and intellectual resources for care advancement. They contribute, also, to strengthening the capacity of the health system to deliver immunisation and other health services in a sustainable manner.
Why in News?
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi participated in the virtual Global Vaccine Summit hosted by UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and pledged $15 million to Gavi alliance.
- The conference was organised to urge nations around the world to pledge funding for vaccinations to save millions of lives and protect the world from future outbreaks of infectious diseases.
- As the world focuses on tackling coronavirus, the World Health Organisation (WHO), UNICEF and Gavi have warned that the pandemic is disrupting routine immunisation, affecting approximately 80 million children under the age of one across 68 countries.
- The Prime Minister said India stands in solidarity with the world in these challenging times and India’s civilisation teaches to see the world as one family.
- He further said that India is also the World’s foremost producer of vaccines and that it is fortunate to contribute to the immunization of about 60 percent of the World’s children.
View all comments