About GAVI Alliance
- Created in 2010, the GAVI Alliance (Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation) is a global health partnership of public and private sector organizations dedicated towards creating equal access to new and underused vaccines for children living in the world’s poorest countries.
- GAVI’s strategy supports its mission to save children’s lives and protect people’s health by increasing access to immunisation in poor countries.
- Its partners provide funding for vaccines and intellectual resources for care advancement. They contribute to strengthening the capacity of the health system to deliver immunisation and other health services in a sustainable manner.
Why in News?
- Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan has been nominated by the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation as a member of the GAVI Board.
- Dr. Vardhan will be representing the South East Area Regional Office (SEARO)/ Western Pacific Regional Office (WPRO) constituency on the GAVI Board. The seat is currently held by Myint Htwe of Myanmar. Dr. Vardhan will be representing India from January 1, 2021 till December 31, 2023.