What’s in the news?
- Chief Justice of India N V Ramana has launched a digital platform, ‘Fast and Secured Transmission of Electronic Records’ (FASTER), to transmit court orders through a swift and secure electronic mode.
- During the launch event, the Chief Justice said that FASTER came into existence, after a news report, published in July last year, regarding a delay in the release of prisoners. The top court had granted bail to prisoners. However, there was a delay of three days in reaching physical copies of the orders to the prison officials.
- The FASTER is aimed to eliminate the situation where the release of prisoners gets delayed even after the top court grants them bail. He pointed out that the delay was solely due to jail authorities not getting the certified hard copies of the bail orders.
- The purpose of FASTER is, orders passed by the Supreme Court or any courts have to be transmitted safely without any interference
- FASTER will send bail orders having digital signatures of the top court officers for authentication, and this information can only be accessed by officials operating the emails, ensuring privacy and security.