About the Scheme
- The Khelo India programme has been introduced to revive the sports culture in India at the grass-root level by building a strong framework for all sports played in our country.
- It is implemented by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- It was launched in the year 2018.
- Under the scheme, talented players identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels (by the High-Powered Committee) will be provided annual financial assistance of 5 lakh per annum for 8 years.
Why in News?
- The Sports Authority of India has released a total of Rs 7.22 Crore as an Out of Pocket Allowance (OPA) for a total of 2509 Khelo India Athletes (KIAs) across 21 disciplines, including para, for the months of January to March 2022.