What’s in the news?
- President Droupadi Murmu has granted assent to the Digital Personal Data Protection Bill, 2023 (DPDP Bill) after it was passed by both Houses of Parliament.
Highlights of the Act
- The Bill aims to manage digital personal data by balancing individuals’ right to safeguard their data with the need to lawfully process such data for relevant purposes.
- According to the Bill, a person may process the personal data of an individual for a lawful purpose on the basis of their consent and for certain legitimate uses.
- The Bill has a provision to set up the Data Protection Board of India.
- The legislation is intended to protect the digital personal data of 140 crore Indians. Around 90 crore people of India are connected with the internet and this Bill has been brought for the protection of security and privacy of the people in this digital world.