Why in News:
- The Prime Minister of India declared August 14 will be observed as ‘Partition Horrors Remembrance Day’ to acknowledge the pain undergone by Indians due to the partition of India in 1947.
News in detail
- The PM said that the day (August 14), shall be remembered for India’s partition into two countries, India and Pakistan, would remind Indians of the need to remove the poison of social divisions.
- The PM also mentioned that the Partition day keeps reminding us of the need to remove the poison of social divisions, disharmony and further strengthen the spirit of oneness, social harmony and human empowerment.
Notification from the Ministry of Home Affairs
- The Home Ministry said the people of India, while celebrating “Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav”, will salute those sons and daughters of the country who had to sacrifice their lives during the partition of India.
What is Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav?
- Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav is a series of events to be organised by the Government of India to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of India’s Independence.
- The Prime Minister reiterated five pillars i.e. Freedom Struggle, Ideas at 75, Achievements at 75, Actions at 75 and Resolves at 75 as guiding force for moving forward keeping dreams and duties as inspiration.