About the Mission
- The Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) is a flagship initiative set up by the NITI Aayog to promote innovation and entrepreneurship across the length and breadth of the country. It was setup in 2016.
- Towards this end, AIM has taken a holistic approach to ensure creation of a problem-solving innovative mindset in schools and creating an ecosystem of entrepreneurship in universities, research institutions, private and MSME sector.
Initiatives under Atal Innovation Mission
Atal Tinkering Labs – at School Level
- AIM has launched the establishment of thousands of Atal Tinkering Labs enabling students from grade 6 to grade 12 to have access to and tinker with innovative tools and technologies like 3D printers, robotics, miniaturised electronics do-it-yourself kits, thus stimulating a problem solving innovative mindset to solve problems in the community they are in.
Atal Incubators at Universities, Institutions, Industry Level
- To promote creation of a supporting ecosystem for start-ups and entrepreneurs, AIM has been establishing world-class incubators called Atal Incubation Centres (AICs) in universities, institutions, corporates, etc. that would foster innovative start-ups and become scalable and sustainable enterprises.
Atal Community Innovation Centres
- To promote the benefits of technology led innovation to the unserved/ underserved regions of India including Tier 2, Tier 3 cities, aspirational districts, tribal, hilly and coastal areas, AIM is setting up Atal Community Innovation Centres (ACICs) with a unique partnership driven model wherein AIM would grant up to Rs. 2.5 crore to an ACIC subject to a partner proving equal or greater matching funding.
Atal New India Challenges
- To create product and service innovations having national socio-economic impact, AIM has launched Atal New India Challenges in partnership with five different ministries and departments of the central government.
Applied Research and Innovation for Small Enterprises (ARISE)
- To promote innovation in a phased manner in the MSME/Start-up sector, AIM launched ARISE along with partner Ministries so that great research ideas are converted to viable innovative prototypes followed by product development and commercial deployment.
Mentorship and Partnerships
- To enable all the initiatives to succeed, AIM has launched the “Mentor India – The Mentors of Change” programme, in collaboration with the public sector, corporates and institutions, to support all the initiatives of the mission.
Why in News?
- In a strategic move to foster and nurture innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem throughout India, Atal Innovation Mission is set to organize a peer-to-peer workshop focusing on the development of state-level innovation ecosystems.
- The purpose of this workshop is to unleash the power of peer learning across the states/UTs in order to propel each state-level ecosystem forward.