Who was Khudiram Bose?
What is in the news?
- The Union Home Minister recently visited the house of revolutionary Khudiram Bose and said that he belonged to the whole India rather than just West Bengal.
About Khudiram Bose (1889-1908)
- Born and brought up in Midnapore of West Bengal, Khudiram Bose was inspired by talks of revolutionary Sri Aurobindo and Sister Niveditha.
- He joined Anushilan Samiti, an early 20th century organisation founded by Satish Chandra Basu, which propounded revolutionary activities in Bengal. He learnt how to make bombs and he would plant them in front of police stations.
- In 1908, he along with Prafula Chaki were assigned the task of assassinating the district magistrate of Muzaffarpur, Kingsford. They threw a bomb on the Kingsford’s carriage but unfortunately it was carrying the wife and daughter of a barrister named Pringle Kennedy, who lost their lives, and Kingsford escaped.
- Khudiram Bose was caught and sentenced to death. He was just 19 years old when he was executed on August 11, 1908.
View all comments