What’s in the news?
- Recently, poisonous neurotoxic gasses leaked in Ludhiana cursing death of few peoples.
What are neurotoxins?
- Neurotoxins are poisonous substances which can directly affect the nervous system. Neurotoxicity occurs when exposure to natural or man-made toxic substances alters the normal activity of the nervous system.
- These substances can eventually disrupt or even kill neurons or nerve cells, which are important for transmitting and processing signals in the brain and other parts of the nervous system.
- They directly attack the respiratory tract of the body, thereby overpowering the oxygen concentration of the body and then the nervous system as well.
What are neurotoxic gases?
- Methane, hydrogen sulphide, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are common neurotoxic gases, While methane and carbon monoxide are odourless gases, hydrogen sulphide has a pungent odour and in higher concentration it can be fatal for humans.
- To remove gases such as hydrogen sulphide from wastewater, chemical oxidation is done, where oxidants such as hydrogen peroxide are added to the wastewater.