Water Dispute Between Telangana and Andhra Pradesh
Why in News?
- The Union government is going to take stock of water utilisation from the Krishna and Godavari rivers following Telangana and Andhra Pradesh filing complaints against each other.
What is the issue?
- Andhra Pradesh and Telangana share stretches of the Krishna and the Godavari and own their tributaries.They have embarked on several new projects without getting clearance from the river boards, the Central Water Commission and the apex council comprising the Union Water Resources Minister and the Chief Ministers, as mandated by the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014.
|Central Water Commission
- The Andhra Pradesh government’s proposal to increase the utilisation of the Krishna water from a section of the river above the Srisailam Reservoir led to the Telangana government filing a complaint against Andhra Pradesh.
- While the Godavari discharges over 3,000 tmc ft into the sea, the Krishna has almost dried up, with Maharashtra and Karnataka taking up large projects.
- Telangana has also taken up several projects on Krishna and Godavari.
- Telangana government also filed a complaint against AP government for taking up projects across Krishna river.
Constitutional Provisions for Inter-State Water Disputes
About River Godavari:
About River Krishna:
View all comments