- OCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies.
- OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
Why in News?
- The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) says, almost 50,000 people have been displaced in the past two weeks due to fighting in northern Myanmar.
- In the biggest military challenge to the junta since it seized power in 2021, an alliance of ethnic armed groups launched an offensive against it late last month.
- Myanmar’s borderlands are home to more than a dozen ethnic armed groups, some of which have fought the military for decades over autonomy and control of lucrative resources. Large-scale drug production and trafficking has long been a problem in the border areas.