- UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) is a multi-lingual app developed by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and National e-Governance Division (NeGD) to drive Mobile Governance in India.
- Launched in 2017, UMANG provides a single platform for all Indian Citizens to access pan India e-Gov services ranging from Central to Local Government bodies and other citizen centric services.
- It is envisaged to act as a master application, which will integrate major government services from various sectors such Agriculture, Education, Health, Housing among others. The application will enable users to access e-Government services from the central Government, the State Governments, local bodies and their agencies.
- Currently, UMANG provides access to more than 2000 e-governance services across 194 government departments.
- It includes services such as AADHAAR, Digi Locker, Bharat Bill Payment System, PAN, EPFO services, PM- KVY services, AICTE, CBSE, tax and fee or utilities bills payments, education, job search, tax, business, health, agriculture, travel, Indian railway tickets bookings, birth certificates, e-District, e-Panchayat, police clearance, passport, other utility services from private companies and much more.
Why in News?
- An online conference was organized under the chairmanship of Minister for Electronics and Information Technology to mark the occasion of 3 years of UMANG and 2000 plus services milestone.
- On this occasion, the Minister launched the UMANG’s international version in coordination with Ministry of External Affairs for select countries that include USA, UK, Canada, Australia, UAE, Netherlands, Singapore, Australia and New Zealand.
- It will help Indian international students, NRIs and Indian tourists abroad, to avail Government of India services, anytime. It will also help in taking India to the world through ‘Indian Culture’ services available on UMANG and create interest amongst foreign tourists to visit India.