Target Olympic Podium Scheme
- In order to improve India’s performance at Olympics and Paralympics, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) started the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) in September 2014.
- This was revamped in April 2018 to establish a technical support team for managing the TOPS athletes and providing holistic support.
- The scheme is fully functional and has been extending all requisite support to probable athletes identified for the 2020 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games including foreign training, international competition, equipment and coaching camp besides monthly stipend of Rs. 50,000/- for each athlete.
- TOPS (Target Olympic Podium Scheme) is a flagship program of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports which is an attempt to provide assistance to India’s top athletes.
- The Scheme looks to add a premium to the preparations of these athletes so that they can win medals in the Olympics.
- The Scheme currently supports 104 TOPS Core Group athletes across 13 sports disciplines & Hockey (M & W) teams and 269 TOPS Development Group athletes across 12 sports disciplines.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) has approved financial assistance towards training and competitions (Grand Slams) for 10 Judokas, 2 badminton players, and 3 fencers among others.
View all comments