Swachh Survekshan Gramin, 2022
What’s in the news?
- President Droupadi Murmu distributed awards under Swachh Survekshan Gramin (SSG) 2022 which looked into the sanitation status of rural areas.
- The Swachh Survekshan Gramin-2022 award ranks States and districts on the basis of their performance attained on key quantitative and qualitative Swachh Bharat Mission Gramin (SBM-G) parameters and engagement of the rural community in the improvement of their sanitation status.
News in Detail
- Telangana won the first prize under the Large States category under SSG 2022, Haryana was adjudged the second and Tamil Nadu the third.
- Among the smaller States and Union territories, Andaman and Nicobar secured the first position followed by Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu and Sikkim.
- The President noted that since the launch of Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin in 2014, more than 11 crore toilets have been constructed and about 60 crore people have given up the practice of open defecation.
- Ms. Murmu also informed that the Government of India was implementing the second phase of Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin, which was launched in 2020 and aimed to make all six lakh villages in the country `Open Defecation Free Plus’.
- Since the beginning of the second phase of Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin, more than 1.16 lakh villages have declared themselves as `ODF Plus’ and the work of solid and liquid waste management has also started in about three lakh villages.
View all comments