Stealth Frigate- Taragiri
Why in News:
- ‘Taragiri’, the third stealth frigate of project 17A was launched by Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd. (MDL) in Mumbai.
- The first ship of the Project 17A, is ‘Nilgiri’
- The second ship of P17A class is ‘Udaygiri’
- The indigenously designed ‘Taragiri’ will have state-of-the-art weapons, sensors, an advanced action information system, an integrated platform management system, world-class modular living spaces, a sophisticated power distribution system, and a host of other advanced features.
- It will be fitted with a supersonic surface-to-surface missile system and the ship’s air defence capability is designed to counter the threat of enemy aircraft and anti-ship cruise missiles will revolve around the vertical launch and long range surface to air missile system.
- And Indigenously developed triple tube lightweight torpedo launchers and rocket launchers will add punch to the ship’s anti-submarine capability.
- Frigates are naval vessels intermediate between corvettes and destroyers, and have had a significant role in the naval history of India.
- Frigates which employ stealth technology construction techniques in an effort to ensure that it is harder to detect by one or more of radar, visual, sonar, and infrared methods.
About Project 17A
- The coveted ‘Project 17A’ was cleared by the government back in 2015.
- P17A ships with a displacement of around 6,670 tonnes will be the most advanced state-of-the-art guided missile frigates once inducted.
- They will represent the most advanced class of major surface warships for the Indian Navy in a decade, also featuring BrahMos supersonic surface-to-surface missiles.
- These will also have torpedoes and rockets to hit submarines and rapid-fire guns to destroy anti-ship missiles as well as a heavy main gun to engage ships and coastal targets.
- These ships would also be loaded with an indigenous state of art electronic systems and sensor suites.
- Weapons are in integration with BrahMos and Long Range Anti-Ship Missile (LRASM) with MF STAR radar and indigenous Sonar system.
- The P17A-class will be armed and ready with the state-of-the-art Barak 8 and BrahMos surface-to-air and supersonic cruise missiles.
- The ships are named after Indian Hills like Shivalik, Himgiri, Nilgiri, Taragiri, Udyagiri.
- This project is unique in that it is being built simultaneously at two locations, at GRSE in Kolkata and Mazgaon Docks Limited in Mumbai.
- Fincantieri of Italy is the knowhow provider for technology upgrade and capability enhancement in this project.
View all comments