About the Scheme
- The Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has launched the Central Sector Scheme “SMILE- Support for Marginalised Individuals for Livelihood and Enterprise”.
- The umbrella scheme is designed to provide welfare measures to the Transgender community and the people engaged in the act of begging.
- The Ministry has allocated 365 crore rupees for the scheme from 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- It includes two sub-schemes – ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons’ and ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation of persons engaged in the act of Begging.
- It aims to strengthen and expand the reach of the rights that give the targeted group the necessary legal protection and a promise to a secured life.
- The Sub-scheme – ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons’ includes the following components-
- Scholarships for Transgender Students;
- Skill development/vocational training will be provided to attain capacity, capability and desirability so that they can sustain and live a life of dignity by engaging in self-employment;
- Composite Medical Health supporting Gender-Reaffirmation surgeries through selected hospitals;
- Housing in the form of ‘GarimaGreh’ where food, clothing, recreational facilities, skill development opportunities, recreational activities, medical support etc. will be provided;
- Setting up of Transgender Protection Cell in each state to monitor cases of offences and to ensure timely registration, investigation and prosecution of offences;
- E-Services (National Portal & Helpline and Advertisement) and other Welfare Measures.
- The focus of the sub-scheme ‘Comprehensive Rehabilitation of persons engaged in the act of Begging’ are as follows-
- Survey and identification;
- Outreach work to mobilise the persons engaged in begging to avail the services available in the Shelter Homes;
- The Shelter Homes will facilitate education for children engaged in the act of Begging and children of persons engaged in the act of Begging.
- Comprehensive resettlement.
- The scheme strengthens and expands the reach of the Rights that give the targeted group the necessary legal protection and a promise to a secured life.
- It also keeps in mind the social security that is needed through multiple dimensions of identity, medical care, education, occupational opportunities and shelter.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment has reviewed the SMILE scheme recently.
View all comments