- The Smart Cities Mission was launched in 2015.
- The main objective of the Mission is to promote cities that provide core infrastructure, clean and sustainable environment and give a decent quality of life to their citizens through the application of ‘smart solutions’.
- The Mission aims to drive economic growth and improve quality of life through comprehensive work on social, economic, physical and institutional pillars of the city.
- The focus is on sustainable and inclusive development by creation of replicable models which act as lighthouses to other aspiring cities.
- 100 cities have been selected to be developed as Smart Cities through a two-stage competition.
Why in News?
- Under the waste-to-wealth concept, the Coimbatore Smart City Mission has taken the initiative of cleaning the waste accumulated over decades and earning from it.