What’s in the news?
- The scheme Scholarships for Higher Education for Young Achievers Scheme – SHREYAS, has been proposed to implement during the 2021-22 to 2025-26 by placing two ongoing Central Sector schemes for OBC and others namely –
- National Fellowship for OBC
- Dr.Ambedkar Central Sector Scheme of Interest Subsidy on Educational Loans for Overseas Studies for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) and Economically Backward Classes (EBCs).
- The main objective of the schemes is Educational Empowerment of OBC & EBC students by way of awarding fellowship (financial assistance) in obtaining quality higher education and interest subsidy on educational loan for overseas studies.
- The Scheme comprises following 2 components:
- National Fellowship for OBC students
- The scheme aims at providing financial assistance to the OBC students in obtaining quality higher education leading to degrees such as M.Phil and Ph.D in universities, research institutions and scientific institutions.
- Dr. Ambedkar Scheme of Interest Subsidy on Educational Loans for Overseas Studies for OBCs & EBCs
- This is a Central Sector Scheme to provide interest subsidy to the student belonging to the OBCs and EBCs on the interest payable for the period of moratorium for the Education Loans for overseas studies to pursue approved courses of studies abroad at Masters, M.Phil. and Ph.D. level.