About the Scheme
- The Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has launched the Scheme for Residential Education For Students in High schools in Targeted Areas (SHRESTHA) to provide residential education to Scheduled Caste students in High School in targeted areas.
- SHRESHTA has been conceived to provide access to high quality residential education to the meritorious poor students from Scheduled Caste communities, whose parental annual income is up to Rs. 2.5 Lakh per annum, at free of cost from class 9th to class 12th.
- Under this, each year a specified number of meritorious SC students in States/UTs are selected through a transparent mechanism of a National Entrance Test for SHRESHTA (NETS).
- Entire cost of school fee and hostel fee including food charges shall be borne by the Government of India.
- The Students under the Scheme may select any school across the country for their academics.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has provided details about the SHRESTHA scheme in the Lok Sabha.
View all comments