Why in News:
- PM Modi unfurled a flag after inaugurating a revamped Mahakali temple which was apparently destroyed by 15th century Gujarat ruler Mahmud Begda.
- As per the details, the temple is said to have been destroyed by 15th century Gujarat ruler Sultan Mahmud Begda (1458 to 1511), who had set up his capital in Champaner near Pavagadh after defeating the Rajput rulers.
- Begda was the most prominent ruler of Gujarat Sultanate and had earned the title Begda, after conquering two main forts of Gujarat: Junagadh and Pavagadh.
- It is said that during Begda’s reign; a shrine or Sadanshah Pir Dargah was built after the spire of the temple was destroyed.
- Champaner was briefly the capital of Gujarat Sultanate after Mahmud Begda won the hill fortress of Pavagadh.
- Today, Champaner Pavagadh Archeological Park is a UNESCO World Heritage site and houses some of the landmark monuments and architectural marvels.