About the Programme
- In order to widen and deepen electronic manufacturing and ensure development of a robust and sustainable Semiconductor and Display ecosystem in the country, the Government of India has launched the Semicon India Programme in 2021.
- The initiative will position the country as a global hub for electronic system design and manufacturing.
- Through the program’s scope, the government hopes to attract large global chip makers to make India their production base. India wants to achieve technological leadership in these areas of strategic importance – also key to the security of the country’s critical information infrastructure.
- The programme has been approved with an outlay of 76 thousand crore rupees.
- India Semiconductor Mission (ISM) has been set up as a dedicated institution for the Semicon India Programme.
- ISM will coordinate with the applicant companies who have also reached out to states to provide access to world class infrastructure.
Why in News?
- After the grand success of Semicon India 2023, held earlier this year in Gujarat, the global summit is set to return in September 2024.