About the Scheme
- “Samarth” (Scheme for Capacity Building in Textiles Sector) Scheme is a demand driven and placement-oriented umbrella skilling programme of the Ministry of Textiles. The scheme was launched in 2017.
- Samarth aims to incentivize and supplement the efforts of the industry in creating jobs in the organized textile and related sectors, covering the entire value chain of textiles, excluding Spinning and Weaving.
- The training programme and course curriculum have been rationalized keeping in view the technological and market demand of the domestic and international economies.
- The scheme is implemented through Implementing Partners (IPs) comprising of Textile Industry/ Industry Associations, State government agencies and Sectoral Organizations of Ministry of Textiles.
Why in News?
- The Samarth scheme has penetrated across 28 States and 6 Union territories of the country and caters to all sections of the society including SC, ST, and other marginalized categories.
- Out of the skilling target of 4.72 lakh beneficiaries allocated so far, 1.88 lakh beneficiaries have been provided training. More than 85% of the beneficiaries trained so far under the scheme are women. More than 70% of the beneficiaries trained in organized sector courses have been provided placement.