About S-400 missile system
- The S-400 Triumph (NATO reporting name: SA-21 Growler) is an air defence missile system developed by Almaz Central Design Bureau of Russia.
- The S-400 Triumph air defence system integrates a multifunction radar, autonomous detection and targeting systems.
- It is capable of firing three types of missiles to create a layered defence.
- The system can engage all types of aerial targets, including aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), and ballistic and cruise missiles, within the range of 400km at an altitude of up to 30km.
- The system can simultaneously engage 36 targets and can be deployed within five minutes.
- Russia had also supplied two regiments of the S-400 Triumph system to China by July 2019.
Why in News?
- Russia has assured that it would accelerate deliveries of some defence contracts with India.
- India has been asking Russia to speed up deliveries of the S-400 long range air defence system in addition to spares and support for military hardware.
- The Ministry of Defence has signed a $ 5.2 billion deal for five regiments of the S-400 Triumph.
- This will be under the Indian Air Force (IAF) and these will give more strength to the Air Defence.