About Sukhoi Su-30 MKI
- The Sukhoi Su-30MKI is a twin-seater, highly maneuverable, fourth-generation multirole combat fighter aircraft.
- It was jointly developed by the Sukhoi Design Bureau of Russia and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- A variant of the Sukhoi Su-30, it is a heavy, all-weather, long-range fighter.
- A new squadron, known as the 222 Squadron (Tigersharks) was stood up at the IAF’s Thanjavur air base in Tamil Nadu.
- India achieved indigenously overhauling capability of the Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter jet. The IAF received the first domestically overhauled Su-30MKI in October 2018.
- The IAF operates 272 Su-30MKIs as of June 2020.
- The MiG-29K fighter bomber aircraft from Russia is manufactured by RSK MiG and the Irkutsk Aircraft Production Association Joint Stock Company.
- The mission of the MiG-29 is to destroy hostile air targets within radar coverage limits and to destroy ground targets using unguided weapons in visual flight conditions.
- It is a twin engine aircraft.
Why in News?
The Defence Ministry has approved deals worth ₹38,900 crore with Russia including procurement of 21 MiG-29 fighter jets for the IAF, upgrade of 59 of them and acquisition of 12 Su-30 MKI aircraft.